Sunday, April 20, 2014

"A Lesson On Neurology
Today I learnt that we use 73 percent of our cerebrum
on logical explanations that require
no sentiments. And the remaining 27 percent
(meagre, I should say)
is the filament for your burnt out heart.
And did you know that the brain stem is a metaphor
for the electrical junction in which all wires meet?
So we instinctively try our best to protect
the fragile neck, perhaps in a logical attempt
to protect ourselves from damaging the brain.
Another logical move.
But look, where’s the balance and stability
that should be there? If you take a look
at this messy pile of grey mass and try
to make sense of it, it only makes sense if
emotions and rational decisions
weigh equally.
See, when I’m with you, my two hemispheres
switch roles. Our fingers make love for the first
time and the neural pathways leading up to my
cerebral cortex light up.
I let you hug me like a noose;
smelt you the way suffocation
did. And still, I kicked away
the chair beneath my feet —
the delicate neck snapped.
Now, where’s the logic in that?
You see, the brain, the organ the size
of two fists put together, is a difficult
chaos to comprehend. If we should
ever weigh the two sides of mine on a
scale,
the scale would never
come to rest.
My neural activities are excessive, too much.
The lovebirds of my synapses talk softly
to one
 another. Dendrites holds dendrites.
My body gaining not weight but rather,
everything the world has given me,
 stuffed
in the rivers and valleys of my mind, the 
folds
and grooves of pink-grey matter.
My neurons travel through the pathways on
my back; the curvature of a 
heartbroken spine,
and I forget how to process, with logic, the secretive
messages they send back. I forget how
to breathe; I get these shallow interrupted fluxes
of blood, heavy asphyxiated heart beats.
All of this, because my cerebrum
relies too heavily on the right instead of
the left; because I perpetually swing
between the two; because with you, my left
hemisphere forgets how to work; because
my hands are too small to hold my feelings
when they should come crashing down.
People have tried, for years, to study
the pathology of the brain. But how do
you grasp something that cannot be
sliced apart, and how do you attempt
to cure melancholy, grief, pain, when
they are so deep-rooted within your
central nervous system.
If I could, I would
rewire all of us,
so we would never
feel off-balance
again;
all I want is stable ground."
--
stumbled upon this. from amabilidad.wordpress.com

No comments: